Clare’s Hedgerow Muffins
Clare’s Cottage Bread & Cakes is one of Cornwall’s true cottage industries. This recipe was first featured in the ‘Great Cornish Food Book’ and is the perfect autumnal recipe, with blackberries as its core ingredient.
Makes 12 muffins
- 255g self-raising flour
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- 170g caster sugar
- 110g Cornish unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 large free range egg
- 150ml full fat milk
- 150ml live plain yoghurt
- 1 and a half tsp pure vanilla extract
- 140g foraged blackberries
- 1 eating apple (peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Greaseproof paper
- Cut twelve 15cm x 15cm greaseproof paper squares
- Line a muffin tin with the squares – you will need to push the papers into the tin. Don’t worry if the papers don’t behave, the weight of the mixture will ensure that the papers sink into the trays.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the melted butter, egg, milk, yoghurt and vanilla.
- Stir everything together with a fork.
- Add the blackberries and apple. Fold in gently.
- Plop a tablespoon of mixture into the middle of each muffin square.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cook in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack, sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!